Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Starting 08 Right

This past weekend started off my 2008 race season in Charlotte. The winter stxc series is always super competitive and a great chance to get in quality efforts. With that said, this season I've decided to move from the expert to the singlespeed field. considering my new found passion of riding my ss it seemed to be a no brainer.

Saturday 2 - 23 ss riders start race two of the series in a furry. In normal fashion I get close to the front but not into the wind. Heading into the singletrack in 7th wheel. Emerged from the woods at the end of lap one and surge to the front. Amped to be riding I guess. What ever I was doing out there I quickly opened up a 20 sec. gap. I held onto this led for about 20-25 minutes. By then the excitement and early season fitness caught up with me. Fading back off my pace I'm joined by the 07 series winner and teammate. This is the wheel I've been waiting on, but I can't hold it. Driving to stay within sight of him. Smooth throught the single and finished in third.

Sunday 3 - 19 ss riders start race three of the series. Today's start was much slower, but by lap 3 the pace had picked up and the split happened. I quickly tagged onto the led pack of 6 riders. Sunday's race I had to use my brain over my legs. A steady pace for some 20 minutes, then there were 4 riders. This led pack had a nice gap over the reset of the field. Lap traffic really played a role on the single track climb. The 34x16 was a tough gear to start on the hill. About 15 minutes to go I was gapped bad on this hill and had to make up some ground quick. Closed in and recovered till hearing of two laps to go. This was my call to attack. Into the singletrack smooth lines and no brakes I start opening the gaps I need. One to go still one rider stays close till the next trip through the woods. Emerged from the woods the sole leader. Put one more surge in for good measure and across the line 1st. Wow First Victory for 2008, I hope there will be many more.

1 comment:

ExtrmTao said...

DOMINATION!!!!!!!